As one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies, we offer NBCUniversal Services through a wide range of businesses and under many different brands. You can find out more information about NBCUniversal, including a list of our affiliates (“NBCUniversal Affiliates”), here.
- TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
- LOCATION OF YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIAN RESIDENTS
- CONTACT US
We, or our service providers on our behalf, may collect the following information about you or your use of the NBCUniversal Services:
Information You Provide to Us
- Contact and registration information: such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, username, and password.
- Information about you or your friends and family: such as demographic or biographical information, gender, interests, photos, videos, or any other information about you that you provide to us, including information about friends, contacts or referrals.
- Transaction information: payment information such as your credit/debit card details, purchase history, delivery address and other information related to your transaction.
- Competition, sweepstakes and survey information: any information provided when entering competitions, prize draws and sweepstakes we, or a third party on our behalf, may run. We may carry out surveys and panel discussions, which may request that you voluntarily provide additional information.
- Customer care, technical support and other feedback: questions and other messages you address to us directly through online forms and social media platforms. If you contact us by phone, we may record the conversation and/or keep a summary of the call.
- Other information you provide: any other information that you provide to us including, posts, date of birth, content, photos, booking times or biometric identifiers such as facial scans or fingerprints.
Information We Collect Automatically
- Device Information: including your IP address, browser types, browser language, operating system, platform type, gaming platform, device types, and device IDs such as unique identifiers, advertising identifiers, or gaming platform identifiers.
- Usage Information: including files you download, domain names, landing pages, your browsing activity, what you click, scrolling and keystroke activity, pages viewed, advertising viewed or visited, forms or fields you complete or partially complete, search terms, whether you open an email and your interaction with the content, access times, and error logs, and other similar information.
- Game Information: including the NBCUniversal games you own or play, play statistics, scores, replays, and achievements.
- Location Information: including the city, state and ZIP code associated with your IP address, information derived through WiFi triangulation, and precise location information from GPS-based functionality on your mobile devices or from your use of our Mobile Apps, and with your consent, your precise GPS information.
- Viewing Behavior: including the content you view, how long you watch each video, the quality of the service you receive (e.g. buffering, load times) as well as advertisements you have been shown or interacted with.
- Offline Information. Certain information may also be stored while you are offline and transmitted to us when you next connect to the Internet, regardless of where you connect from or the device you use to connect.
Information from Third Party Sources
We may receive information about you from third parties, partners or our service providers such as:
- Public Information: from publicly and commercially available online or offline sources, as permitted by law including demographic information, purchasing data, membership in loyalty programs or information about advertisements you have seen or acted upon, including your interaction with advertisers’ products and services.
- Social Media Information: if you visit the NBCUniversal Services on a device on which you also use social networks or if you interact with us through a social media service or other platform, we may have access to some information you provide to that social network or platform such as your name, email address, friend list, photo, age, gender, location, birthday, social networking ID, current city, and the people/sites you follow.
Depending on the NBCUniversal Service you use, we, or our service providers, may use your information to:
Provide the NBCUniversal Service including
- responding to your requests or inquiries;
- providing technical support;
- sending you service-related communications, including announcements and administrative messages;
- displaying certain content, such as content you upload and make available, comments, and game statistics and rankings;
- generating suggestions on the type of video you might enjoy;
- understanding how you use the NBCUniversal services so we can improve them;
- processing your entries into sweepstakes, contests or promotions.
Personalize your experience including
- providing you with advertising based on your activities and interests;
- creating and updating audience segments that can be used for targeted advertising and marketing on the NBCUniversal services, television, third party services and platforms, mobile apps and/or websites, and offline;
- creating profiles about you, including adding information we obtain from third parties, which may be used for analytics, marketing and advertising;
- sending you newsletters, surveys and information about products, services and promotions offered by NBCUniversal, our partners, and other organizations with which we work.
Recognize your devices and associate the information with your profile including
- using data collected or received from NBCUniversal Affiliates, service providers, advertisers, and other third parties, such as your device information, to match mobile advertising and cookie identifiers;
- matching your devices if you log into the same online service on multiple devices or web browsers or if your devices share similar attributes that support an inference that they are used by the same user or household;
- using this information to match your interests across devices, as well as for analytics, ad serving or reporting, or to improve the services;
- identifying you or your device or associated information with you, your device, or your profile whenever you visit the NBCUniversal Service, even if you do so when logged out or without intentionally identifying yourself.
Provide Services for our Parks & Resorts
- such as ticketing and payment services, mapping guidance, offers, and ride and gaming features.
Prevent fraud and defend our legal rights
- protecting the safety of our users and others;
- enforcing our terms of service;
- preventing fraud or any other potentially illegal activities.
We may combine all the information we collect from or receive about you for any of the foregoing purposes. Please see Your Rights and Choices section for further information.
We may share your information with:
- Related Companies: NBCUniversal Affiliates, as well as our parent company Comcast Corporation and its affiliate, Comcast Cable, to help better tailor services, products, marketing, and advertising to you.
- Service providers that perform certain business-related functions on our behalf: including research and analytics, website hosting, transaction fulfillment, payment, processing database maintenance, contest, sweepstakes and promotion administration, fraud prevention, technology services and platforms, identity management and acquisition and conversion services.
- Advertisers, Advertising Networks, and Other Third Parties: information about how you use the NBCUniversal Services and interact with content or ads to better tailor services, products, marketing and advertising on our service or on third party platforms. These third parties may use their own tracking technologies/cookies to collect or request information about you including through surveys. See our Cookies and Tracking Technologies Policy for information.
- Hashed/Masked Information. We may share information about you along with a hashed or masked identifier, with third parties so they may better personalize your experience with them and the offers they send you.
- Other Users and Search Engines: depending on the NBCUniversal Service, you may provide certain information including your name, photo, and other information to create an account (“Account Profile”). Some information in your Account Profile may be available publicly to other members of that service, or the general public, and may be searchable by search engines.
When we display your user submissions, they will be identified by information in your Account Profile. We may distribute user submissions to third parties, and if we do, we may include any information in your Account Profile or submissions.
- Research and Measurement Companies: we share information about content you view on the NBCUniversal Services with video measurement services such as Nielsen TV Ratings, as well as other analytics providers. See Your Rights and Choices section for more information.
- Law Enforcement Agencies, Regulators, Content Protection Organizations, Anti-fraud Coalitions and other groups to:
- protect our legal rights, privacy or safety, and that of NBCUniversal Affiliates, our employees, agents, contractors, or other individuals;
- protect the safety and security of visitors to the NBCUniversal Services or other properties;
- protect against fraud or other illegal activity or for risk management purposes;
- respond to inquiries or requests from government, regulatory, law enforcement, or public authorities;
- permit us to pursue available remedies, commence, participate in, or defend litigation, or limit the damages that we may sustain;
- comply with the law including with subpoenas, search warrants, court orders, and other legal process; or
- enforce applicable terms of service.
Video Viewing Behavior
With your appropriate consent, and consistent with applicable law, we may share your video viewing behavior with third parties including advertising companies, analytic partners, and social media sites.
Sale or transfer of all or part of our business or assets
Most of our online services are intended for users of all ages. This section outlines NBCUniversal’s information practices in the United States with respect to personal information (as defined by the Children’s Online Privacy Act (“COPPA”)) collected on online services directed to children under the age of 13, such as Sprout and Universal Kids, or from children who we have actual knowledge are under the age of 13 (“child” or “children”). For more information about COPPA see FTC - Children's Privacy.
If we knowingly collect personal information on a child-directed service or from a user we have actual knowledge is a child, we will retain that information only so long as reasonably necessary to 1) fulfill the request or allow the child to participate in the activity, 2) ensure the security of our users and our online services, and/or 3) as required by law. If we learn we have collected personal information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA’s requirements, we will either delete that personal information or seek parental consent.
Collection and Use of Personal Information from Children
If an online service seeks to collect personal information from a child that is not subject to an exception under COPPA, we will first ask for a parent or guardian’s consent to that collection as required by law.
Our online services directed to children may collect the following information from children for the purposes described:
- Registration Information: Children may be able to register with an online service to view content, participate in contests, play games and more. We may ask the child to provide a screen name (that does not include the child’s name) and password. We may also request information for notification purposes, such as a parent or guardian’s email address, the child’s first name and gender, and birth date.
- Email Address for One-Time Response: We may ask for a child’s email address or other online contact information in order to respond to a question or request from a child. We will delete this information after responding to the question or request. If an online service allows children to create accounts by providing name and email address, we will first seek parental consent as required by COPPA.
- Email Address for Newsletters or Other Ongoing Communications: Our online services may offer ongoing communications to our users, such as newsletters or show updates. In such circumstances, we may collect a child’s email address or other online contact information, along with a parent’s email address. We will notify the parent via email about the collection and use of the child’s information and provide the parent an opportunity to prevent further contact with the child.
- Content: We may allow children to submit content to us. If a child includes personal information in such content, we will take reasonable measures to delete the personal information or first seek parental consent.
- Contests and Sweepstakes Entry Information: Our online services may feature contests or sweepstakes and seek information necessary for a child to participate in such contest, including the child’s first name and parent’s email address to notify the parent (as required by law). If the child wins the contest, we may contact the parent via email to request information for prize fulfillment.
- Information to Obtain Parental Consent: We may ask a child for a parent’s or guardian’s email address or other permissible contact information in order to request consent. If we do not receive parental consent within a reasonable time, we will delete the contact information and any other related information collected from the child. We may conduct other methods of parental consent permitted by COPPA, including obtaining a credit card number and charging a fee (which may be nominal), asking a parent to speak to a customer service representative by phone or video, or requiring submission of a signed consent form.
- Persistent Identifiers: Our online services may automatically collect persistent identifiers for internal operations, including to provide and improve our online services, conduct analytics, authenticate users, personalize content, maintain the security and integrity of the service, and to ensure legal or regulatory compliance. Specifically, we may collect Internet protocol or IP address, pages and content visited, the type and version of operating system or web browser, device ID. We, or our third party service providers, may collect this information using HTTP cookies, flash cookies, HTML5 and Flash local storage, web beacons/GIFs, embedded scripts, and ETags/cache browsers (“Cookies”). The third-party operators who collect persistent identifiers on our online services directed to children are available here[A2] .
Disclosure of Personal Information from Children
We may share or disclose personal information collected from children in the following circumstances:
- With our service providers in order for them to perform service on our behalf;
- As permitted or required by law, including in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- To protect the safety of a child, to prevent a crime, or to facilitate a public safety investigation;
- To take precautions against liability; or
- To protect the security or integrity of our online services.
In addition, personal information collected from a child may be shared or publicly posted if we first obtain parental consent.
Parents or guardians may contact firstname.lastname@example.org to review personal information provided by his or her child, have such information deleted, and/or refuse to allow further collection or use of such information. You may send mail inquiries to: Chief Privacy Officer, NBCUniversal Legal Department, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112.
Minors Under 18
Minors under 18 years old, or their parents, may request the removal of information that they posted to NBCUniversal sites by contacting email@example.com. Upon such request, NBCUniversal will anonymize, or remove any content posted by a minor, unless required by law to retain such content or information.
Schools and other organizations that are covered by state student privacy laws will be able to control the collection and processing of student data when they create and utilize certain solutions we make available to them, such as sports team management solutions.
Communication Preferences and Opt-outs
You may unsubscribe from our email newsletters or promotional emails by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. You cannot unsubscribe from service-related, transactional, or emails related to your NBCUniversal Service.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Our Cookies and Tracking Technologies policy provides certain opt-out choices; however, we may still allow collect usage data for certain other purposes (e.g., contextual advertising, research, analytics, and internal operations).
For information about Mobile Apps, including how to opt out of targeted advertising, video measurement and certain analytics, please visit here.
Access, Correction and Deletion
Depending on the NBCUniversal Service you use you may be able to access and correct certain information through the features provided by the service. In addition, where legally required, we will provide users with access to their information and the ability to review, update, correct, and/or delete it. We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as requiring a password and user ID, and possibly photo ID before granting access to your information. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opt-out of Video Measurement Research by Nielsen
NBCUniversal video services may feature Nielsen proprietary measurement software that will allow you to contribute to market research, like Nielsen’s TV Ratings.
To learn more about Nielsen digital measurement products and your choices in regard to them, please visit http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more information.
NBCUniversal is headquartered in the United States and may from time to time transfer your information to other countries and make it accessible to other NBCUniversal Affiliates and service providers and advertisers regardless of where they are located. We will take steps to ensure that your information receives an appropriate level of protection.
We maintain procedural, technical, and physical safeguards for the NBCUniversal Services to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of the information you provide via the NBCUniversal Services. These safeguards vary depending upon the sensitivity of the information we collect and store. Please be aware that no security solutions are infallible.
If you are a resident of California, you can request a list of all the third parties to which we have disclosed certain personal information (as defined by California law) during the preceding year for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. California residents may contact us at Chief Privacy Officer, NBCUniversal Legal Department, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112, US. Include the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in the body of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. In the body of your request, please provide sufficient information for us to determine if this applies to you. You need to attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response. We will not accept requests by telephone, email, or facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
10. CONTACT US